Friday, February 04, 2011

hymn-singers...

hymns...make me think about sunday nights at mc coy memorial baptist church...when we could call out a hymn number for the whole congregation to sing. as a little girl, i felt so "in charge"...i got to decide what we would sing. my favorites? heaven came down and wonderful grace of Jesus. last weekend, i bought a hymn book...because i'm forgetting the words...i start singing a hymn to jackson and zoey...and have to stop because i can't remember the next verse...sad. i LOVE a good worship song...but i miss hymns. SO. MUCH. (sidenote: i'd love to get my hands on an old, green mc coy memorial baptist church hymnal...because the new hymn books have WAY TOO many praise choruses and not enough of the old hymns.) hymns...make me think of my grandparents...because they haven't forgotten the words...and on those hymn sing sunday nights i was usually sitting with one set or the other singing my little heart out.


just a few years ago...one of the most precious memories of my life...singing hymns with grandma halsey and grandma and grandpa matchette...in g & g matchette's living room. they certainly didn't need hymn books to remember the words...

one of grandma halsey's favorites:

VICTORY IN JESUS

i heard an old, old story, how a Savior came from glory, how He gave His life on calvary to save a wretch like me. i heard about His groaning, of His precious blood's atoning. then i repented of my sins and won the victory.

i heard about His healing, of His cleansing power revealing, how He made the lame to walk again and caused the blind to see. and then i cried, "dear Jesus, come and heal my broken spirit," and somehow Jesus came and brought to me the victory.

i heard about a mansion He has built for me in glory, and i heard about the streets of gold beyond the crystal sea; about the angels singing, and the old redemption story; and some sweet day i'll sing up there the song of victory.

o victory in Jesus, my Savior forever! He sought me and bought me with His redeeming blood. He loved me ere i knew Him, and all my love is due Him. He plunged me to victory beneath the cleansing flood.

one of grandpa halsey's favorites:

FACE TO FACE

face to face with Christ, my Savior, face to face--what will it be when with rapture i behold Him, Jesus Christ who died for me?

only faintly now i see Him, with the darkling veil between; but a blessed day is coming when His glory shall be seen.

what rejoicing in His presence, when are banished grief or pain; when the crooked ways are straightened and the dark things shall be plain.

face to face--o blissful moment! face to face--to see and know; face to face with my Redeemer, Jesus Christ who loves me so!

face to face i shall behold Him, far beyond the starry sky; face to face in all His glory, i shall see him by and by!

LOVE those hymns!!! MISS those grandparents!!!

must ask g & g matchette what their favorites are...i'll post those, too...

3 comments:

Sarah said...

tears welling up...may cut and paste their faves to my blog if you don't mind...I want to have record...and want our kids to remember too...

Precious. PRECIOUS. Heritage.

Thank you, Jesus!!!

Unknown said...

you go right ahead...i stole my blog title idea from you. :-)

Mary L said...

Isn't it wonderful that we have memories, as special as these!? The Legacy goes on...we have to Count our blessings, name them one by one....SEE what GOD has done!....Precious memories...how they linger! :)