Wednesday, July 22, 2009

just say no?!!

in response to comments left on previous blog entry:
okay, formerly pregnant ladies...lots of excuses. i guess i should at least thank you for telling me that i can refuse to be checked...i can do that?!! i can tell her that she's not allowed to check me?!! i'm gonna try that next week. i'll let you know...i'm not very good at being a difficult patient...speaking up for myself...guess i better learn. note to self: say no to cervical dialation checks before labor actually begins, say no to stripping of membranes (that SOUNDS painful!!!), say no to breaking of water. thanks girls!!! now, your assignment is to tell me what i should pack for the hospital...what are the hospital "musts"??? and for those of you who birth at home...pretend like you HAVE to go to the hospital...what would you want to have with you???

finished jackson's room today. (sidenote: not sure that is his official name...just like calling him something other than "what's his name") here are a few pictures...okay, a lot of pictures:












7 comments:

Kristen said...

L-U-V the room! good job, Mommy!

ok, you don't have to be offensive (like I am). just tell your Dr that its your choice not to be checked anymore until you arrive in labor, or are overdue. every time you are checked there is a chance for an infection to be introduced. plus, knowing how dilated you are does not necessarily mean anything. you could be nothing, and then have a baby 12 hrs later. or you could walk around dilated to 5 for 2 weeks (like my sis). but I will add that I had my membranes stripped w/ my first 3. wish I hadn't w/ the first 2, although it was not painful at all for me, just weirdly uncomfortable. it DID start my labor all 3 times though, like a charm. but if your DR is talking induction at all, stripping could be a good preventive to that.

DaisyJo said...

*squeals with delight* I LOVE the room! Cute AND educational, Ms. Teacher.
I also like the name Jackson. Have you picked a second name yet, or does that still vary with the first name?

The Fox Den said...

Just remember the car seat so you can bring J. home :) Can't wait!!! Love, love, love the room. I have a couple you could come decorate in your free before baby time or actually after J. too. You can decorate and I'll just hold him and watch you. Love you so much!!

Janelle said...

Feel empowered! Take charge of your birth! Woohoo!! Speaking up for yourself is not being a difficult patient... it's called patient-centered care and like Kris said, just be (genuinely) politely assertive. Okay, before I get carried away. Definitely what Jack said - install your car seat now if it's not done already. Oh - the room is wonderful!! Love, love it! And, let's see, what else... EGADS!! I'm so excited for you... um, i'll email you a copy of my Bradley workbook checklist, but you don't need it all.

Mama Jenny said...

My vote is your own robe to labor in - you don't want anyone seeing your dairy-aire! But make sure you take it off before the baby comes out - you don't want to get it all nasty! Nothing says comfort like having your own things around you during that time! Love, love, love the nursery! Can't wait to see the little guy!!!

Four Men and a Lady said...

Definitely bring your own shower stuff... maybe it's just military hospitals, but I found the selection lacking!! Oh, and bring your own slippers too... they'll make the "walking like you've just gotten off a 12 hour horseback ride" MUCH better. :)

Unknown said...

pillow ... slippers .... bathrobe ... jammies .... fingernail clips b/c both mine came out with LONG nails ... extra batteries for the camera/camcorder ... charger for cell phone ... laptop if you want one ... I brought my good smelling shower gels, etc. ... loose fitting outfit to wear home (most of us go home in maternity clothes except for my friend that went home in tiny jeans!) ...