Wednesday, October 31, 2007

the funny thing about being infertile...it's not funny

okay, another infertility book report...the last one, i promise...

i'm at the library and i see this book called a few good eggs written by two women who've personally experienced infertility...they promote their book as a "funny/witty girlfriend's guide to infertility"...my girlfriends make me laugh...maybe this book will make me laugh. i'm looking for a laugh...i NEED to laugh about being infertile...SOMETHING has to be funny about being infertile...if i can laugh about it, it'll be easier to deal...right???

i check it out and immediately begin reading it when i get home...thirty minutes later...i'm sobbing and i decide that there's NOTHING funny about being infertile...NOTHING. they tried to make it funny, but it just wasn't.

the whole book is about how women waste their "fertile" years by getting an education and establishing their careers and then when they're ready to get pregnant...they can't. it was the MOST depressing infertility book i've ever read...i do not recommend it...AT ALL...it was even worse than the "happy crack" book i wrote about many blogs ago.

a few things to note at this point:

1. i am already painfully aware of most of the information found in this book...the statistics, the probabilities, the problems and procedures. it did not help to hear all of that depressing stuff...AGAIN!

2. the authors of this book do not claim to be looking at this issue from a God-centered point of view...therefore, the book was depressing...therefore, the book was hopeless...hope-less!!! i just so happen to love a God of wonder and miracles...and better yet, HE loves ME! so the statistics, probabilities, problems and procedures mean NOTHING to Him...and therefore, they mean nothing to me.

the funny thing about being infertile...is that it's not funny...and that's okay. i think what i was really looking for was comfort and i think i'll look for that in the BIBLE!

"i love the Lord because He hears my voice and my supplications. because He has inclined His ear to me, therefore i shall call upon Him as long as i live." psalm 116:1-2, 7

3 comments:

Janelle said...

Amy - I know I've said this before, but you're awesome. Ever think about you writing about your experience in a way that other women would connect with? Yes, I'm suggesting you consider writing a book. No, I'm not kidding. I love you.

The Fox Den said...

I love you and I agree with Janelle and did I say I love you!

Kristen said...

I am humbled, reading your words. You inspire me to trust in our big God more and more, knowing He holds it all. I will continue to cover you in prayer, pleading for His mercies that are new every morning.